Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My Konstantine...


Day Five:


I am currently in the middle of cleaning out my tent, listening to some Something Corporate. Thought I'd take a few minutes to update my journal/blog. Today Colin took us to Makuna Village & we went to the chiefs palace. It was really interesting, we had to get down on one knee and clap before we were able to enter through the palace, and we had to do the same thing when we exited. We walked around the village for a bit, meeting a lot of new people and then when we were walking back to the Land Rover I heard someone call out my name, and it was someone who I had met the day before at the clinic. I thought it was really touching that they had remembered my name. I'm finally starting to fit in with the villagers :) Although, I wish I could remember everyone's name, I meet so many amazing people daily who are working with the SAM project or just villagers and school kids.

After we left Makuna Village we went to Macenje Village and stopped by the SAM garden there. We were taught how to make Briquettes, which are made from elephant dung and chili peppers and the villagers put them around the garden and when there are elephants near they light the briquettes on fire and the elephants have a very strong sense of smell and they hate the smell of the briquette smoke. Then we walked around with Anna and she introduced us to her friends and family and took us to all the places where you wouldn't normally see. I felt really fortunate that we were able to do that. Then she brought us to the preschool which was built by the LIFE project last year. (The LIFE Project is apart of Overland Missions). We met the teacher and we planend a day where we would be able to come back and spend the day in class, which I am really looking forward too. While we were we sat in the class just for a few minutes and the teacher asked the class "Where's Hitler? Why is he late?" And us girls look at eachother and burst out laughing. They didn't understand why we were laughing and we didn't really want to explain the history behind Hitler. So as we were leaving the boy Hitler showed up, and I just couldn't resist getting a picture of him.


Woo, the dinner bell just rang, so I'm off!

No comments:

Post a Comment